Monday, August 19, 2013

Huaraz (Peru - Part 6)

Huaraz is a mountain climber's mecca, with many jagged peaks above 20k ft -including the tallest mountain in South America.  We connected with a local mountain bike guide who took us for three days of exploring the surrounding area.  The trails were scrappy, but always framed by a beautiful panorama of jagged white peaks.  Aggressive dogs were present whenever the trails passed through areas of homes, and even sweet Eileen learned how to stare them down - they were all bark and no bite.

Our other goal for the area was the four-day Santa Cruz trek.   Camping and hiking among the massive 20k peaks was stunning.  It would be a phenomenal place to paraglide - to effortlessly traverse the valleys and explore the massive walls up close (another trip I suppose).  Our second day involved hiking over a 15.7k pass, and the air was so thin our pace slowed to near a crawl.   My initial euphoria at the top was eventually replaced with a bit of nausea and headache, and eventually that night at the 13k ft camp, chills.  I guess I was not acclimatized enough for this altitude (especially after four days in the jungle at sea level).  I even had a bit of lower chest  pain, which I dismissed until I felt it again the next day at a 15k ft scenic lake.  Could this be the start of mild pulmonary edema? I don't know, but I don't think I'll plan to trek above 15k again in the future - that is probably my safe limit.  (Note that Eileen did not suffer from altitude sickness at any point - she's a better mountaineer than I.)


Fortunately, I felt better the next day, so I could enjoy the magnificent scenery.  Back to town, and on to our next destination (via taxi, plane, taxi, bus, and taxi)...

No comments:

Post a Comment